Wednesday 29 February 2012

Gestational Diabetes

This week I had the Gestational Diabetes Glucose test (GTT), which lasts for 2 hours. If you have been pregnant before you know what I am talking about but if you have never had a baby this is the test taken between the 26 & 28 week stage of your pregnancy. You have to fast from midnight and hopefully you will book your appointment for first thing in the morning, or you will be starving. When you first arrive you will have blood taken and then have to drink a very sweet tasting glucose drink. After one hour you will have blood taken, and then after another hour the final bloods done.




I tried to read a book while waiting but I kept falling asleep. I had rearranged the chairs in the doctors waiting area so I could put my feet up and sit back with my head resting against the wall. 


My doctor must love me so much, when she saw me she told me to come with her and she found a quiet room for me where there was a bed that I could lie down on. The time has never passed so quickly when I have had this test, usually it seems like forever. The hardest part was being woken midway for blood to be taken. I think I could have slept there all day, even though it was not the most comfortable of beds.

After I had been used as a pin cushion and all my bloods were taken she tested them and told me what my results were. She would still have to send them off to the lab for testing but it looks like I don't have gestational diabetes. Yay! When I came home I got straight onto the computer to research it, I don't know why I have not done this before but I found this really informative site which explains in detail about Gestational Diabetes. So if you want to know more please click on the link below at Birth.com:



Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...